While it is true that in Wix you will have access to pre-made templates, content, applications, SEO configuration, blog capabilities, email options, etc. it is your responsibility to set it up and maintain it. Here is a guide to avoiding some common mistakes when you are designing your website.
1. Buying the wrong domain name - You should choose a domain name (URL) easy to remember and related to your business. Obviously, the name will be yours exclusively, decide well before investing.
Note: When you purchase a Premium Plan on Wix, the domain name is free.
2. Create a complicated logo - Your logo should represent your service and reputation. A logo for a lawyer is very different from a logo for a shoe store.
Note: Your logo should be memorable but simple.
3. Allow Wix Ads on Your Website - As long as the website has a free subscription, Wix or participating partners will advertise on it. Complete the upgrade to remove unwanted ads and be able to assign an official and unique domain name.
Note: People will respect your business more if you have a custom URL.
4. Photos of low or no quality - An image says more than a thousand words, good and bad. Your photos must always be of high quality.
Note: High-quality photos are available from Wix for free and at a low cost.
5. Not having a Blog - The Blog will be your Website's best friend and will help you create a loyal customer base who will visit it and invite others to visit, making them your digital word-of-mouth. Well written articles published on your blog will help your website to be discovered in organic Google searches.
Note: Link the articles on your Blog to other internal articles for enhanced SEO.
6. Do not use "ALT Text" in your images - All images on your website must have descriptive and informative ALT Text. This will help you in SEO and also comply with other regulations.
Note: "ALT Text" helps your images to be discovered in Google "Images".
7. Not having links connected to social networks - One of the biggest mistakes is not enabling social links on your website that connect with social networks. If the visitor can jump from your website to your social page, they will be able to know your services and products in a more friendly and familiar environment and share it with their followers.
Note: Include at least 3 social links.
8. Messages that are not clear and readable - Your message should be coherent, short, and clear. Much verbiage discourages any visitor and will leave your website immediately. The Font is also important and you should limit it to a total of two, no more than three Fonts on the entire website.
Note: In many instances, less is more. 9. Incomplete mobile configuration - Be sure to complete the mobile configuration of your website. Wix offers an elegant mobile setup, it even looks like an app when you open it on your phone.
Note: 80% or more of your visitors will use a mobile device.
10. Do not include relevant contact information - Your contact information should be prominently featured in your header, footer, and contact page. This adds to organic SEO results and allows the visitor to communicate with you through other means.
Note: Your phone number is actionable in mobile format.
11. Have an incomplete “branding” - The description of the type of service you offer should be included in your heading. It should also include an "About Us" section to effectively introduce yourself to your visitors.
Note: Talk about your beginnings, who you are, where you are going, and why you are the best.
12. Failure to complete SEO - This is a big mistake. Without SEO you will not be found on the internet nor will you be able to connect the website effectively with Google. An SEO strategy starts with the right SEO configuration.
Note: SEO stands for "Search Engine Optimization" and allows free organic results when people search for services like the one you offer.
13. Not having a presentation video - Video is the most efficient way to convey a message. A 30-second video on your website will create interest and increase the visit time. Your creativity is the limit.
Note: Wix includes a tool for creating and editing videos for social media.
14. Choosing the wrong online store - Wix offers different online store application alternatives, directly from Wix or through its partners. Choosing the right store before setting up inventory will save you a lot of time and work.
Note: There are shops for general items and shops designed for restaurants. For stores with little inventory, the Gallery Pro can be used with purchase buttons.
15. Do not ask for help "I can" - While it is true that you are able to learn to work on your website, you will quickly realize that you cannot dedicate the necessary time to the website to be effective and produce the results that want. Creating a website is time-consuming and will distract you from other functions in your business. Set aside a budget to promote, virtually socialize, and keep your website optimal.
Note: Hiring a Certified Wix expert is money well spent. 16. Do not use Automation and Workflow - These are very useful tools to maintain contact with your clients, social networks, and other administrative functions.
Note: Create a "template" of a new service that you are going to offer (Automation) and schedule its launch when someone registers on your website (Workflow).
17. Do not use the "Lightbox" - This is a free tool that you can use to highlight a specific and focused message to your visitors. It is the equivalent of a custom pop-up.
Note: Encourage visitors to register to receive notifications and information about your services.
19. Don't Update ALT Text. Although the visitor does not see the ALT text contained on the website, Google does perceive it when we search the internet.
Note: ALT Text must be updated on all images on your website.
20. Not understanding - Clear communication between technical partners and customers is important. For example, the page, website, and landing page are names that are often used to refer to the “website but they are not the same.
Note: A "website" or website is a collection of pages, sections, applications, and tools that used correctly, create a virtual place to connect, captivate, and help your customers.
We design websites that work for you!